The American Heart Association’s HeartCode BLS Course, web-based and accessible 24 hours a day, provides
a flexible alternative to classroom training. With a focus on the components of high-quality CPR, this online
instructional program uses a variety of eLearning assets such as dramatizations, eSimulations, animations,
self-directed learning, and interactive activities to teach students BLS knowledge and skills for single-rescuer
and team basic life support.
WHO SHOULD TAKE THE COURSE?
This course is for healthcare professionals and other personnel who need to know
how to perform CPR and other basic cardiovascular life support skills in a wide variety
of in-facility and prehospital settings. HeartCode BLS is for healthcare professionals
and others seeking an alternative delivery method for completing BLS training.
The AHA’s BLS Course has been updated to reflect new science in the 2015
American Heart Association Guidelines Update for CPR and Emergency
Cardiovascular Care (2015 AHA Guidelines for CPR and ECC). This course teaches
both single-rescuer and team basic life support skills for application in both
in-facility and prehospital settings. After successfully completing the BLS Course,
students should be able to:
- Describe the importance of high-quality CPR and its impact on survival
- Describe all of the steps of the Chain of Survival and apply the BLS concepts of the Chain of Survival
- Recognize the signs of someone needing CPR
- Perform high-quality CPR for adults, children and infants
- Describe the importance of early use of an AED and demonstrate its use
- Provide effective ventilations by using a barrier device
- Describe the importance of team dynamics in multi-rescuer resuscitation and perform as an effective team member during multi-rescuer CPR
- Describe the technique for relief of foreign-body airway obstruction (choking) for adults and infants
The HeartCode BLS online cognitive portion must be paired with a hands-on
skills practice and testing session with an AHA BLS Instructor. This is worth 5 CPD points
The classroom course is delivered as a full contact session, run over 5-6 hours, these are worth 10 CPD points in classroom course
Students who successfully complete the online portion receive a certificate
that allows them entrance to a skills practice and testing session. An AHA BLS
for Healthcare Providers course completion card will be issued upon successful
completion of both parts.
AIEM Terms and conditions apply, to access these please click the link to the right https://www.aiem.co.za/shop/terms-and-conditions/