This is an expanded first aid course that is focused on the remote setting. It is excellent for people who find themselves in austere and remote environments or who like to adventure a few hours from emergency assistance. This course is open only to the volunteer memebers of the ORRU and MSAR teams around the country.
ORRU and MSAR Wilderness Extreme First Aid
R2,000.00 inc. VAT
FIRST AID COURSE – Wilderness First Aid (Certified but not SETA accredited unless required by client)
Adventurers, Guides, Hikers, Climbers, Mountaineers, Divers or anyone that is employed and working in a remote setting.
Basic care for common wilderness injuries or suddenillnesses until advanced medical care can take over. Handling emergency situations in a remote setting; basicdisease transmission precautions; recognizing and caring forbleeding, wounds, immobilizing of fractures and joint injuries.
- CPR manikins
- Spinal Motion Restriction equipment
- All medical consumables
- Various types of bandages, splints, gloves, CPR devices, etc.
- Principles and First Aid and Safety
- Basic Anatomy and Physiology
- Emergency Scene Management
- Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation
- Choking and Airway Obstruction
- Assessment of a Patient
- Dressing and Bandages, Burns
- Head and Spinal Injuries
- Heart Attacks, Strokes, Diabetes
- Environmental Emergencies:
- Hyper- and Hypothermia
- HAPE and HACE
- Bites and Stings
- Unconsciousness and Fainting
- Convulsions and Epilepsy
- Contents of a Wilderness First Aid Kit
- HIV/AIDS, Cholera / TB
- Eye, Ear and Hand Injuries
- Patient Spinal Motion Restriction
An AIEM certificate of completion will be issued upon successful completion of the course, a written and practical assessment are required in order for this certificate to be issued.
SAQA accredited content for the US 119567 or for an advanced level: US 376480 is used, however SAQA accreditation is only applied if there is a requirement for this, and should be discussed on a course by course basis (this includes additional content and more notional hours as well as development of a portfolio of evidence).
Course Duration: 5 Days (3 day theory and 2 day practical in a wilderness setting)
WFA manual is provided in an ebook format for the course
ORRU JHB August